- 25 . 04 . 04
Proving just how easy it is to adapt to foreign cultures, a top 10 list of things that would have been crazy only 1 month ago.
Japanese Culture, Top 10
Today is my one month Japanniversary! I arrived on the 25th March, but it already feels like I’ve been here much longer. I’ve got used to a lot of things that were totally strange at first.
So, the top ten things that aren’t weird, but should be:
- Being stared at by everybody, everywhere.
- Nobody sitting next to you on public transport, even when it means they have to stand.
- Lampposts that sing to you when you walk past.
- Not being able to read anything.
- Not being able to understand background conversations.
- Every single product having a mascot.
- Every single shopworker shouting “Welcome” as you enter a store.
- Melons costing upwards of £10.
- People cycling on crowded pavements at full speed expecting you to move.
- Seeing maybe one non-Japanese person a day, excluding Nova teachers.